This Christmas season, the Lowndes team were proud to support the important work of Auckland Women’s Refuge.
We collected gifts from the generous team at Lowndes and tenants at Lowndes House, and delivered a (very full!) carload of donated items to Auckland Women’s Refuge.
Violence towards women and children always seems to escalate around Christmas time with the financial and social pressures of the season becoming too much for some. This is not just an issue for those less well off. Domestic violence can affect people in all walks of life in our slice of paradise.
Auckland Women’s Refuge was the 2nd refuge to be established in Aotearoa/New Zealand and has been operating since September 1975. Auckland Women’s Refuge provides safe houses and community support services including (just a few from their long list!):
- 24 Crisis-line telephone service ph (09) 378 1893
- Refuge telephone service with trained advocates to receive domestic violence calls Monday to Friday ph (09) 378 7635 between 9am – 3pm
- Four confidential safe-houses with 24 hour access to accommodation for Domestic Violence intervention for women and children after a screening process to a safe, supportive and non- judgmental environment
- Advocacy/support at police, lawyers, court, WINZ, housing and other agency support services
- Information on legal issues, benefits & emergency funding, safety options and housing
- Referrals to sympathetic counsellors, lawyers, doctors and to other appropriate services
It was wonderful to meet the Auckland Women’s Refuge team and to be able to contribute to the vital work they do.
Thank you to all who gave so generously to help spread a bit more joy this Christmas!
Lowndes is an award winning corporate and commercial law firm with offices in the heart of Auckland and Wellington. The firm serves local and international companies and investors doing business in New Zealand.
We are recognised for our technical expertise and exceptional client service including high levels of responsiveness and reliability, accessibility of our lawyers, and an unwavering focus on what matters – our clients’ commercial outcomes.