Kathryn is a specialist property lawyer with over 18 years’ experience with other leading commercial law firms in Melbourne and Auckland.
Kathryn advises on a wide range of property related matters including acquisitions and disposals, property development, commercial, industrial and retail leasing, due diligence appraisals and franchising.
She has acted for clients such as companies buying and selling businesses with property assets, owners, purchasers, developers, major banks, councils, educational institutions, landlords, tenants and international franchisors.
- Bachelor of Laws (First Class Honours)
- Bachelor of Arts
- Membership Women in Property
- Membership Property Law Section of the New Zealand Law Society
- Auckland Women Lawyers’ Association
- Acted for a major construction and infrastructure company on property matters generally, including property lead on acquisition of a significant concrete business involving multiple quarries and concrete plants, and acted on acquisitions of various quarries and strategic properties.
- Acted for plumbing, electrical and automotive, clients in relation to national leasing portfolios, national engineering consultancies in relation to negotiating complex agreements to lease and leases for new premises in multiple cities.
- Acted for household name brands on major agreements to build and lease.
- Acted for owners in negotiating Public Works Act agreements.
- Acted for developers on medium (5-10 lot) residential and commercial developments and on large (170 lot +) residential developments.
- Acting for various high net worth individuals on commercial leasing and property acquisition/divestment, including acquisition/divestment of Auckland CBD properties valued between $5 and $40 million NZD.
- Acted for one of the two major Australian supermarket brands in its supermarket and retail leasing portfolio in relation to leases in major shopping centres and stand-alone stores.
- Acted for three of the four major Australian banks in their complex non-standard branch and ATM leasing portfolios, including advice work.
- Worked closely with Places Victoria in transforming 220 hectares of Melbourne’s under-utilised industrial and port district into one of Australia’s largest and most exciting waterfront developments, valued at $9 billion. This included preparing, negotiating and settling documents such as stage development agreements, land sale contracts and restrictive planning covenants.
- Acted for an Australian developer in purchasing the first shopping centre assets for its retail trust, including due diligence, negotiating and settling the contracts of sale.
- Advised on the property aspects of a major international optometry and eyewear brand on its entrance to the Australian market and on its subsequent roll-out of branded outlets. This included conducting property due diligence on the companies being acquired, advising on the optimal structure for the acquisition from a property perspective, negotiating the assignments of leases and new leases, including standard leases with major landlords.
- Advising start up smoothie franchisor in relation to property franchising matters, and the property aspects of its share acquisition of a major competitor (now with over 500 stores in 13 countries). This included conducting a due diligence on the competitor, negotiating the property aspects of the share purchase agreement, negotiating deemed and actual assignments with over 20 landlords and completing the acquisition.
- Assisting in major brewery on disposal of its pub ownership and management business in Victoria, involving over 40 pubs. This involved completing vendor due diligence on the existing portfolio, preparing beer rights agreements, negotiating variations to existing leases and sub-leases and completing the sale.
- Acting for conservation trusts in Victoria (Australia) and New Zealand in relation to their conservation/open space covenants and various property related matters.
Principal Kathryn Hickling is also praised for her ‘excellent technical skills and great attention to detail’.
Legal 500 Asia Pacific
I have used Kathryn extensively on matters to do with a number of properties, she is outstanding. Take her advice, whatever that might look like and if it requires additional expertise, Kathryn will know where to go.
Impressive! This is what happens with fantastic lawyers!
Just wanted to send you a quick note to tell you how much [X] and I enjoy working with you. Totally professional (with a smile) and just a pleasure to deal with.
You’re a legend Kathryn, huge thanks to you and [X] for driving this through so efficiently.
- Give a Kid a Blanket Community Activated Art Action
- Lowndes Supports Auckland Women's Refuge
- Valuable Advice from Workshop 3 | Growing Auckland Successfully - Pathways to a First Class City
- Lowndes strengthens team to take on new challenges
- 7 things to check in your property contract
- Lowndes welcomes Kathryn Hickling to our Property Team