Mark is a highly experienced corporate and commercial lawyer. He advises New Zealand and international companies on a range of matters such as mergers and acquisitions, capital raising, private equity, venture capital, corporate recovery and international investment.
Mark also leads the firm’s technology, media, telecommunications and IP practices, which act for a wide range of clients from start-ups to global brands on local and international matters.
Mark commenced practice at Simpson Grierson. After a period as in-house counsel for BP Oil New Zealand, he founded Lowndes Jordan in 1986 as New Zealand’s first ’boutique’ law firm. In 1997 he founded Lowndes, which combines the partner accessibility and client-focus of a boutique firm with the knowledge and range of specialist expertise of a large commercial firm.
Lowndes is known as an innovative “NewLaw” law firm bringing “BigLaw” talent to our clients in a lean, flexible, commercially driven manner.
Alongside his corporate advisory work, Mark holds various company directorships and trusteeships in NZ and internationally. He is a Certified Member of the Institute of Directors and has served as a mentor for the Institute of Directors’ training programmes.
Mark is a recent Chair of Multilaw, a leading global association of over 10,000 lawyers practising in 100 countries, and ranked as ‘Elite’ by Chambers Global. Mark leads the firm’s involvement with Multilaw and leading international networks Legalink and INBLF. He is active in the International Bar Association and the Inter-Pacific Bar Association where he is Vice-Chair of the Legal Practice Committee.
Mark is recommended as a leading lawyer by prominent international legal industry directories including Chambers Asia Pacific, Asialaw Profiles (‘a Market Leading Lawyer’), IFLR1000 (‘a highly regarded individual’), and Best Lawyers in New Zealand.
Mark has served as a judge of the New Zealand Law Awards and the Australasian Law Awards respectively since 2015.
- Bachelor of Laws (Honours)
- Bachelor of Commerce
- Fellow of the Financial Services Institute of Australasia
- Certified Member of the Institute of Directors
- Honorary Consul of the Republic of Mauritius to New Zealand
- Knight Grand Officer Portugal
- Knight Commander of the Order of St Michael of the Wing
- Cross of Merit Sovereign Military Order Knights of Malta
- Freeman of the City of London
- Commandeur of the Commanderie de Bordeaux
- AEA International Lawyers Association
- American Chamber of Commerce in New Zealand
- Angel Association New Zealand
- British New Zealand Business Association
- Financial Services Institute of Australasia (FINSIA)
- Institute of Directors NZ
- International Bar Association (IBA)
- Inter-Pacific Bar Association (IPBA)
- Justinian Lawyers
- New Zealand Private Capital
- Restructuring Insolvency & Turnaround Association New Zealand Incorporated (RITANZ)
- Advises numerous New Zealand subsidiaries of well-known multinational companies, and larger New Zealand companies, on a broad range of corporate and commercial law issues
- Advises B.Braun, global medical device manufacturer on various matters in New Zealand including acquisitions, government procurement arrangements, employment matters, competition law issues
- Advised PowerbyProxi, which created technology for wireless charging, for some years leading up until its acquisition by Apple
- Advises Waipa Networks on its multi-million dollar investment in Ultrafast Fibre Limited, an entity formed in connection with the New Zealand Government’s nationwide UltraFast Broadband initiative
- Advises SKYCITY (NZE:SKC), owner of the 328m high Auckland Sky Tower, on its contractual relationships with various telecommunications and broadcasting clients using the tower
- Act for Rothbury Group, one of New Zealand’s largest insurance brokers, on numerous acquisitions, on the introduction of Steadfast Group (ASX:SDF) as a cornerstone shareholder, and ongoing commercial advice
- Advised Huawei Technologies on its financing of a US$100 mobile phone network rollout for 2degrees and advises Huawei on ongoing legal matters in New Zealand including regulatory and consumer
- Acted for Frutarom (LSE:FRUT) on its US$70 million acquisition of Taura Natural Ingredients
- Advised major shareholder of CS Company Ltd on the $37 million sale to Trilogy International (NZX: TIL)
- Acted on the sale of Fusion Electronics to Garmin Ltd (NASDAQ:GRMN)
- Acted on the sale of RX Plastics to the Aliaxis Group
- Advised Sir Peter Maire, the founder of Navman, on the purchase of part of the ProvencoCadmus business now rebranded Invenco Group
- Acted for the vendors of Ancare on the sale to Merial, now part of Sanofi (NYSE:SNY)
- Advises Liberty Financial, a large Australian mortgage lender
- Acted for iHug Ltd on its merger with then ASX listed iiNet Limited and subsequent sale of iHug by iiNet to Vodafone NZ Ltd
- Advised Kookmin Bank, Korea’s largest bank
- Acted for the NZ Police Association on establishing a mortgage lending scheme, as well as the acquisition and securitisation of a large mortgage portfolio
“His quality of work is always high and he goes above and beyond. He is available 24/7 for his clients” and is “very down-to-earth.”
Chambers Asia-Pacific 2019
Mark Lowndes’ “superior general knowledge in all aspects of the law, meaning he is able to advise on risks in a global manner, and how they may affect other aspects of the business.”
“Mark leads the practice well. He is very personable and makes himself available.”
Mark was complemented for “accuracy, looking at the bigger picture, understanding the business and tailoring his work to what you need.”
Chambers Asia-Pacific 2018
“Professional and client-focused” Mark Lowndes “has built an outstanding law firm.”
Mark Lowndes demonstrates “trust, honesty, integrity, accountability and a good sense of humour.”
“Mark has a very strong service ethos which supports his legal advice, both practical and technical,” remarks one of his clients, while another client commends his “intelligence, honesty and varied experience”.
AsiaLaw Profiles 2016
“Incredible attention to detail” with the strategic view of a “big-picture thinker”.
Chambers Asia-Pacific 2016
- Recommended as a ‘Leading Lawyer’ for Corporate/Commercial by Chambers Asia-Pacific (2019)
- Ranked a ‘Market Leading Lawyer’ for Corporate and M&A work by Asialaw Profiles (2019)
- Recommended as a ‘Leading Lawyer’ for Corporate/Commercial by Chambers Asia-Pacific (2018)
- Ranked a ‘Market Leading Lawyer’ for Corporate and M&A work by Asialaw Profiles (2018)
- Highly recommended as a ‘Leading Lawyer’ for Corporate/Commercial by Chambers Asia-Pacific (2017)
- Ranked a ‘Market Leading Lawyer’ for Corporate and M&A work by Asialaw Profiles (2017)
- Highly recommended as a ‘Leading Lawyer’ for Corporate/Commercial by Chambers Asia-Pacific (2016)
- Ranked a ‘Market Leading Lawyer’ for Corporate and M&A work by Asialaw Profiles (2016)
- Around the world in 240 days, Mark Lowndes, NZ Herald, Feb 17, 2014 (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11203969)
- Leadership Development – Mark Lowndes, NZ Herald, Caitlin Sykes, Dec 8, 2015 (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11557153)
- Multilaw Ranked Leading Law Firm Network in Asia Pacific Region
- Mark Lowndes Finalist in NZ Law Awards for Second Year
- Mark Lowndes Finalist in NZ Law Awards
- Mark Lowndes Admitted to the Freedom of the City
- Inspiring Future Lawyers
- International Directory Recognitions 2018
- International Directory Recognitions 2017
- Lowndes Proud to Sponsor | BDO WELLINGTON TO AUCKLAND CYCLE CHALLENGE
- VIDEO from Workshop 5 | Growth Companies: Capturing the Synergies between Entrepreneurs and Smart Capital
- NZ Lawyer Magazine – Parents-in-Law
- NZ Law Awards
- Shadow a Leader – and create the next generation of leaders
- Lowndes strengthens team to take on new challenges
- Staying ahead of industry trends at RITANZ conference
- ‘Outstanding’ achievements for Lowndes in Asialaw Profiles 2016