Mark is a highly experienced corporate and commercial lawyer. He advises New Zealand and international companies on a range of matters such as mergers and acquisitions, securitisations, capital raising, private equity, venture capital, technology, telecommunications, corporate recovery and international investment.
Apart from the M&A and transactional work, Mark leads the firm’s technology, media, telecommunications and IP practices, acting for a wide range of clients from start-ups to global brands on local and international matters.
Mark commenced practice at Simpson Grierson. After a period as in-house counsel for BP Oil NZ, he founded Lowndes Jordan in 1986 as New Zealand’s first ’boutique’ law firm. In 1997 he founded Lowndes, combining the partner accessibility and client-focus of a boutique firm with the knowledge and expertise of a large commercial firm.
Alongside his corporate advisory work, Mark holds various company directorships and trusteeships in NZ and internationally. He is a Certified Member of the Institute of Directors and has served as a mentor for the Institute of Directors’ New and Aspiring Directors Programme.
Recently Mark acted as Chairman of Multilaw, a leading global association of over 8,000 lawyers practising in 150 commercial centres, ranked as ‘Elite’ by Chambers Global. He is also active in leading international networks Legalink and INBLF, and in the Inter-Pacific Bar Association.
Mark has been a judge of the of the Australasian Law Awards each year since 2015.
In 2017, Mark was recommended as a leading lawyer by prominent industry directories Chambers Asia-Pacific and Asialaw Profiles.
- Bachelor of Laws (Honours)
- Bachelor of Commerce
- Fellow of the Financial Services Institute of Australasia
- Certified Member of the Institute of Directors
- Honorary Consul of the Republic of Mauritius to New Zealand
- Knight Grand Officer Portugal
- Cross of Merit – Sovereign Military Order of Malta
- AEA International Lawyers Association
- American Chamber of Commerce in New Zealand
- Angel Association New Zealand
- British New Zealand Business Association
- Financial Services Institute of Australasia (FINSIA)
- Institute of Directors NZ
- International Bar Association (IBA)
- Inter-Pacific Bar Association (IPBA)
- Justinian Lawyers
- New Zealand Private Equity & Venture Capital Association (NZVCA)
- Restructuring Insolvency & Turnaround Association New Zealand Incorporated (RITANZ)
- Acted for Frutarom (LSE:FRUT) on its US$70 million acquisition of Taura Natural Ingredients
- Advised major shareholder of CS Company Ltd on the $37 million sale to Trilogy International (NZX: TIL)
- Acted for Rothbury Group on a series of acquisitions and on the introduction of Steadfast Group (ASX:SDF) as a cornerstone shareholder
- Acted on the sale of Fusion Electronics to Garmin Ltd (NASDAQ:GRMN)
- Acted on the sale of RX Plastics to the Aliaxis Group
- Advised Sir Peter Maire, the founder of Navman, on the purchase of part of the ProvencoCadmus business now rebranded Invenco Group
- Advised Huawei Technologies on its financing of a US$100 mobile phone network rollout for 2degrees and advises Huawei NZ on ongoing legal matters
- Acted for the vendors of Ancare on the sale to Merial, now part of Sanofi (NYSE:SNY)
- Advises Liberty Financial, a large Australian mortgage lender
- Acted for iHug Ltd on its merger with then ASX listed iiNet Limited and subsequent sale of iHug by iiNet to Vodafone NZ Ltd
- Advised Kookmin Bank, Korea’s largest bank
- Acted for the NZ Police Association on establishing a mortgage lending scheme, as well as the acquisition and securitisation of a large mortgage portfolio.
“Mark has a very strong service ethos which supports his legal advice, both practical and technical,” remarks one of his clients, while another client commends his “intelligence, honesty and varied experience”.
AsiaLaw Profiles 2016
“Incredible attention to detail” with the strategic view of a “big-picture thinker”.
Chambers Asia-Pacific 2016
- Highly recommended as a ‘Leading Lawyer’ for Corporate/Commercial by Chambers Asia-Pacific (2017)
- Ranked a ‘Market Leading Lawyer’ for Corporate and M&A work by Asialaw Profiles (2017)
- Highly recommended as a ‘Leading Lawyer’ for Corporate/Commercial by Chambers Asia-Pacific (2016)
- Ranked a ‘Market Leading Lawyer’ for Corporate and M&A work by Asialaw Profiles (2016)
- Around the world in 240 days, Mark Lowndes, NZ Herald, Feb 17, 2014 (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11203969)
- Leadership Development – Mark Lowndes, NZ Herald, Caitlin Sykes, Dec 8, 2015 (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11557153)
- International Directory Recognitions 2017
- Shadow a Leader 2017
- Lowndes Proud to Sponsor | BDO WELLINGTON TO AUCKLAND CYCLE CHALLENGE
- VIDEO from Workshop 5 | Growth Companies: Capturing the Synergies between Entrepreneurs and Smart Capital
- NZ Lawyer Magazine – Parents-in-Law
- NZ Law Awards
- Shadow a Leader – and create the next generation of leaders
- Lowndes strengthens team to take on new challenges
- Staying ahead of industry trends at RITANZ conference
- ‘Outstanding’ achievements for Lowndes in Asialaw Profiles 2016
- Lowndes' expertise recognised third year running
- BDO Wellington to Auckland cycle challenge
- Epiphany For Managing Partner
- Learning From Chinese Doing Business in New Zealand: Opportunities and Challenges
- Mark Lowndes: Around the World in 240 days