Paul joined Lowndes in 2012 from the corporate advisory team of a national law firm, after 18 years as a partner. At this firm he served as managing partner, as a member of the executive committee and board, and as the firm’s international representative.
Paul has substantial experience in corporate, finance, and commercial and banking law, strongly supported by his qualification as a chartered accountant and background in merchant banking. He advises on corporate, commercial and funding matters including corporate structuring and restructuring, mergers, acquisitions and sales processes, the Takeovers Code, shareholder matters, joint ventures, commercial contracts and corporate governance and management.
Paul has both led and participated in transactions with some of Australasia’s most significant organisations. His background, extensive experience and multi-disciplinary skill set enable him to bring an appropriate mix of technical expertise and commercial pragmatism to any transaction.
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Commerce
- Chartered Accountant, Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand
- Member New Zealand Private Equity & Venture Capital Association (NZVCA)
- Acted for Fulton Hogan on numerous business, asset and share acquisitions, including of assets (such as quarries) from Waikato Quarries and Perry Resources, assets (including quarries) from Warren Fowler, assets from Bruce Buchanan, remaining shares in Coastline Markers, interest in Fulton Hogan Hiways joint venture (Fiji), assets from Delta Corporation, assets from Blacktop Construction, own shares from Shell, stakes in its major land development joint ventures, shares in Pioneer Road Services (Australia), and the Stresscrete business from Fletchers
- Advised founding shareholders in an Australasian cross-laminated timber manufacturer on the sale of part of their stake to subsidiaries of Hyne & Son and Mayflower Enterprises
- Advised Fulton Hogan for many years on its syndicated and subsequent bilateral funding arrangements
- Acted in obtaining several exemptions and shareholder approvals related to the Takeovers Code
- Acted for Lyttleton Port Company on a number of its arrangements with Fonterra
- Acted for a US-based participant in the meat industry with respect to its structure and requirements in New Zealand
- Advised a cornerstone investor in a new private hospital on all aspects of that investment
- Acted for a New Zealand subsidiary of US and Australian-owned interests in renegotiating and reducing the subsidiary’s debt obligations
- Acted for Clarus NZ on the sale of its business to Assurity Consulting
- Advised Baycity Communications on its acquisition of the assets of Tuaropaki Communications
- Advised the receiver of South Canterbury Finance on corporate aspects of transactions undertaken by that company
- Advised the Pivot Software group of companies on its expansion into Australia and related structuring issues
- Advised on the reconstruction of The New Zealand Investment Trust PLC, listed on the London Stock exchange and NZSX
- Acted for Fulton Hogan on the sale of shares in EnviroWaste to Ironbridge, including vendor due diligence process
- Acted for Hurricane Wire Products on the sale of its business to Steel & Tube Holdings, and post-sale restructure for the Greenstone Fund